Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Reputation: Gossip, Rumour and Privacy on the Internet

Letting it all hang out: Privacy vs. Publicity in the Virtual World.



I've been invited to join in on the Darklight symposium on Friday at 10am in Filmbase, Temple Bar, Dublin.

Professor Daniel Solove, author of "The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on the Internet" is due to speak together with a panel chaired by solicitor and digital rights expert Caroline Campbell including Damien Mulley, Jim Carroll, Niall Larkin of Relevant Media, and Cormac Callanan, director of Hotline.ie.

The panel will take a look at the mirror to the soul that is Facebook and the powers wielded by the blogging community in deciding peoples' fates.

Professor Solove will take a lawyerly look at the fates of little fatty, dog poop girl and star wars kid.

We'll ask:
  • Can bloggers say what they like?

  • What's wrong with having nothing to hide?

  • Who is really stalking you on Facebook? Does anyone care anymore?
It should be very interesting to see what comes out of the talk. I'm looking forward to it.

For more information visit the Darklight website. If you can't be there, are there any questions or points you'd like raised?



( I'm also volunteering for the festival so if you're there, feel free to say hi :) )

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it'll be a really interesting discussion, I've been ranting about the evils of FB for a while now. I desperately want to delete my profile but have found it's like digital tv: universally demanded.

    Don't have any points as such but am curious to know what you'd be thinking of asking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nay, thanks for the visit and comment :)

    I'm a bit of a social networking junkie and have loads of accounts, mostly never used both to time, usefulness and updating constraints. I use FB for foreign friends, LinkedIn professionally and UnLtdWorld for social entrepreneurs.

    I like the way conversations happen and so don't have any points either as such, but I am curious about

    # the responsibility of bloggers (if we have any),
    # the need for more understanding of the web in Ireland both from the techie geeky end and the completely unaware end
    # the damage someone could do and how to make sure that doesn't happen.

    But a lot depends on the way the chat goes. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it, and will hopefully blog about it too.

    Hope that answers your question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might have to see if I can get along tomorrow then...I have been thinking about this today and have a few questions of my own...you know your FB/MS personal details are never deleted even if you terminate an account? All content uploaded becomes licensed etc? This stuff pishesh me off! Might say hello if I get along (gotta run out to a job again, sorry for the blunt response!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm interested to hear how the debate panned out.

    ReplyDelete