Monday, November 23, 2009

It costs €20m to build 1 km of road in modern Ireland

I interviewed Fergus Finlay, the CEO of Barnardos Ireland on Friday about their current YES/NO campaign and how cuts in the upcoming budget would affect their work and the people that they work with.

Some shocking (to me) statistics emerged in our chat, including how Thornton Hall, the new prison currently being built will cost €1,000 million in the first 10 years of operation and how it costs €20 million to build 1km of road in "modern" Ireland.

Via the Boards.ie blog:



You can read more about the campaign in this PDF download and sign the petition here.

You might also like to see what exactly Barnardos are recommending to the Government - that presentation is below:
Barnardos Key Recommendations for Budget 2010



I've arranged advertising for Barnardos on Boards.ie to help them reach their target of signatures. I hope it has an impact. Given that interview, if it doesn't, we're all in a lot of trouble. Preventing that is worth at least a signature.

3 comments:

  1. €20 mil to build 1km of roads THIS crappy can not be right. It's probably true, but it's surely not right.

    And when my son's been waiting four years for an OT, and my daughter's special needs school is over an hour away on the bus... really. Not right.

    I'm signing that petition---good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse my ignorance, but what's so interesting/special about the 20million for 1km of road.

    I don't know anything about civil engineering, so I don't know how much work/cost/material has to go into it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it could cost 20 million to build 1km of road... look how many public sector workers are on each job and how long it takes them.. I reckon 80% of the cost is direct labour

    ReplyDelete